FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – As 2016 begins, many people have made resolutions for the New Year. In addition to these goals, doctors from Lauderdale Veterinary Specialists are urging pet owners to do the same for their pets.
Making the resolutions to get pets more active and on a higher quality diet are the two most common goals for pet owners. This can go a long way towards improving a pet’s overall health and increasing their life expectancy.
Additionally, pet owners should consider incorporating the following goals:
- Schedule regular check-ups with your family veterinarian and keep your pet up to date on all of their vaccinations.
- Have your pet microchipped and update any existing identification information, this increases the likelihood of recovering a pet, if lost.
- Try new activities with your pet and increase play time, this can be beneficial for both people and pets.
- Invest in a pet insurance policy like Trupanion. Services such as this can help assist pet owners in the event of a veterinary emergency. Having a plan in place in case of medical emergencies is just as important for pets as it is for humans.
- Schedule annual or semi-annual dental cleanings for your pet. Preventive dental care can dramatically reduce the risk of tooth decay, cavities and gingivitis. It is also important for the pet’s overall health.
“Including your pet in part of your New Year’s resolutions and staying with these goals is a great way to supplement the quality of life for your pet,” Said Dr. Ira Zaslow, a board-certified specialist in veterinary emergency and critical care and medical director of Lauderdale Veterinary Specialists. “We are looking forward to serving our clients and community in the New Year by providing the best veterinary care possible.”
About Lauderdale Veterinary Specialists
Lauderdale Veterinary Specialists is a 24-hour veterinary emergency, critical care, referral hospital and imaging center serving Broward, Palm Beach and Miami Dade counties. Their services include: emergency, critical care, internal medicine, neurosurgery, neurology, ultrasound, CT-scan, digital radiography, bereavement counseling, as well as, soft tissue, orthopedic and reconstructive surgery. LVS can be reached at 954.641.1100 and is located at 3217 NW 10th Terrace, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33309.