The most common emergency at Lauderdale Veterinary Specialists is a pet sickened by eating food meant only for human consumption.  The animal is admitted with acute diarrhea , vomiting and even seizures and the culprit is often caused by ingesting our food.

Chocolate is at the top of the list of toxic foods and if you suspect that your pet has ingested your favorite treat , you should call your veterinarian immediately. In general, the darker the chocolate the higher the toxicity level.

Pets are naturally curious and if something smells good they are tempted to eat it.  Just a few of the foods that can cause your pet severe digestive upset are:
Grapes and raisins
Macadamia nuts
Onion, garlic and chives
Xylitol, a common sugar-free sweetener, that can cause life-threatening liver failure
Yeast dough
Coffee and alcohol

Comments are closed.