SOME HOUSEHOLD ITEMS CAN BE POISON TO YOUR PETS

Household toxins – the following things found in and around the household can be toxic to your pet. Please call or bring your pet to the emergency clinic at LVS if your pet has ingested any of the following household products:
People Food:
Methyxanthines– Dogs are most commonly poisoned with methylxanthines by ingesting chocolate, caffeine, and cacao bean mulch. Clinical signs of toxicity are excitation, cardiac stimulation, vomiting, and seizures. The goal of treatment is to maintain basic life support, decrease further absorption, increase excretion, provide supportive care for seizures, respiratory difficulties and cardiac dysfunction.
Raisins and grapes– the reason raisins and grapes are toxic has not been identified nor is there a toxic dose. Clinical signs of toxicity are anorexia, vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, abdominal pain. The kidneys are the organs effected and even 1 raisin or grape can cause acute kidney failure. Treatment requires hospitalization for up to 72 hours after ingestion. Fluid therapy is administered intravenously and blood work is performed to monitor kidney function.
Xylitol- a sweetener in many sugar-free products such as chewing gum. It causes blood sugar to rapidly decrease (hypoglycemia) by stimulating insulin secretion. Clinical signs develop shortly after eating a product with xylitol (30-60 minutes) and can last 12- 24 hours. Treatment requires hospitalization and intravenous fluid and dextrose therapy. Xylitol can also cause liver failure. This is a serious complication of xylitol ingestion and deaths have been reported.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *